Re: wireless lan

I am using the pcmcia card SMC2632 as I write this (on my HP Omnibook 500
subnotebook, running current Debian Sid). It is, I believe, the PCMCIA-only
version of the 2602. (PLX, for those of you who don't know, is essentially a
PCI adaptor that has a PCMCIA slot on it. The SMC 2602 is this adaptor with a
2632 hard-wired in).

I am using the current linux-wlan driver (www.linux-wlan.org), and it works
perfectly. The SMC cards, like many on the market, use the Intersil Prism2
chipset. The most current linux drivers for these that I am aware of are from
linux-wlan.org or the host ap driver at http://hostap.epitest.fi/ (which
allows you to use the card in a software-based "host ap mode" to act as an
access point without a firmware update that is currently only available
through signing an NDA with Intersil).

I have used both for a couple of different Prism2 cards, and both are pretty
mature at the moment, and both have excellent instructions for getting them
working.

In other words, it works, so don't give up. If you have problems, the
lists.linux-wlan.com mailing lists are an excellent source of help.

Bruce