I keep loosing my panels on my desktop

I have a Woody installation and I am using the "Gnome chooser" when I
log-on.

When I create a "new session", I always get two panels (at the top and
at the bottom of the desktop). This is the way I want my desktop to
appear.

Sometimes when I log back in to a named (already created) desktop, it
appears without the top and bottom panel. I cannot figure out why the go
away and I do not know how to bring them back in the already created
session.

Can someone tell me where the desktop configuration is stored and what
information in that configuration needs to be changed to get my panels
back?

Thanks --

Randy