Questions on P4 Mainboards

Hi!

I'm thinking of getting myself a new machine with a 2 GHz P4 (Northwood
variant) and 512 KB cache. One of the main concerns I got is: Which P4
mainboard works well with Debian Woody? (I'm talking about
stability, good IDE controller & USB support with the kernels shipped with
Woody). I'm planning to use this machine for the following:

- Working with various DBMSs (DB2, SAP DB, PostgreSQL)
- Developing larger Java projects with rather large Java apps
  (e.g. Together/J, JBuilder)

The first thing that came to my mind was getting an Asus P4B266-E,
since it has 2 UDMA IDE controllers (one UDMA 100, the other one UDMA
133), thus offering 4 IDE channels altogether. I would like to connect 2
UDMA 133 hard disks, so connecting each of them to a separate IDE
controller and making them work as the master drive seems to be
appropriate for performance reasons. This leads me to my next question: Is
the Promise PDC 20276 IDE controller supported by current Linux
kernels (2.2.20 or 2.4.18, respectively)? If not, are there patches around
for the 2.2/2.4 series of kernels?

What are your opinions on a P4B266-E for Debian Woody? What are good
alternatives? Which chipsets are known to work reliably with respect to
USB?

Thanks a lot for taking your time and answering my questions!

Greetings,

	Holger