Re: Performance tuning?

Is this an 6x86 P150 or an 800MHz Athlon?  Or is the win2k
box the 800MHz Athlon?

Some musings:
- how much RAM on the win2k box?
- On my 1GHz Athlon, I see X spiking up to 60% CPU at times.
  (Yes, I run X4.1, Gnome 1.2 and mozilla 1.0rc3.
- Do you run gnome 1.2 or 1.4?
- mozilla is pretty slow to load on my win2k box that only
  has 128MB RAM.
- On such an old machine, best to use a light weight window
  manager instead of a big, fat windowing environment (and
  gnome is much slimmer than KDE!)  Try fvwm2, blackbox,
  or xfce.

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 17:23, Brian Dessent wrote:

> I've recently installed woody on an older system: 6x86 P150, 112MB RAM,
> Matrox Millennium I 4MB PCI, Buslogic multimaster PCI scsi (all scsi, no
> ide).  This system is far from modern but I really remember it feeling a
> lot faster when it was my primary workstation (running win95.)
>
> I've installed XFree 4.1 and Gnome 1.2.  I'm new to the the recent
> graphical desktop developments (the last linux that I used was in the
> 4.x redhat days) but it seems like everything takes forever.  Clicking a
> tab in the Gnome preferences widget or mozilla preferences results in a
> 1 or 2 second delay before anything changes on the screen.  Repainting
> the default desktop wallpaper seems to go pixel-by-pixel at times.
> Mozilla (0.9.9) averages about 5 to 10 seconds to render modest pages
> (like the debian.org home page.)  This is not a function of bandwidth as
> I get 180 KB/s downloading packages.  As an extreme example, hitting
> reload on the default freshmeat homepage takes mozilla ~26 seconds (more
> like 30+ seconds when not cached), compared to ~3 seconds for mozilla
> under W2k on my main workstation which uses the same internet
> connection.  Now certainly, that machine is more modern but it's just an
> 800 MHz athlon.  I can live with the fact that rendering large pages is
> cpu-bound, but back in the day this video card had very respectable 2D
> performance and I'm certainly not seeing any of that currently.  My
> preferred desktop is 1152x864x24 but I'm currently at 1024x768x16 to see
> if it's any faster, and it's not.
>
> So my question is, what should I be looking at?  Xfree is using its
> accelerated mga driver (I think), but how do I check to make sure it's
> fully tweaked?  Is there anything I should check as far as bus/cpu/ram
> bottlenecks?  I'm running 2.4.16 which I compiled for this machine.
> I'll doublecheck the BIOS chipset timings (i430HX) but I don't think
> they've changed in a long time.  Disk is not a problem because the
> swapfile is hardly being used and the scsi subsystem is respectable.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |