Re: Performance tuning?

Brian Dessent wrote:

I've recently installed woody on an older system: 6x86 P150, 112MB RAM,
Matrox Millennium I 4MB PCI, Buslogic multimaster PCI scsi (all scsi, no
ide).  This system is far from modern but I really remember it feeling a
lot faster when it was my primary workstation (running win95.)

I've installed XFree 4.1 and Gnome 1.2.  I'm new to the the recent
graphical desktop developments (the last linux that I used was in the
4.x redhat days) but it seems like everything takes forever.

I have moved to a different Window Manager on the slower systems/faster response demands because I didn't want to wait for anything. WindowMaker is available under Debian and, while it's not a Desktop like KDE/Gnome, it does do a very nice (and fast) job...