Re: Any X10 users out there ?

On Saturday 08 June 2002 08:32 am, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 06:46:44AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > I was wondering if there are any debian users on this list who control
> > > their X10 stuff with their debian machine? Is it possible ?
> >
> > Probably, but I recommend against it.  Take a stand against spam.  X10
> > advertises primarily by way of spam and popups.
>
> Err, no.  x10.com spams, but they are not X10.  There are plenty of
> other sources of X10 stuff out there.  X10 is simply a protocol.  It's
> unfortunate that the x10.com domain went to the jerks it did, because
> most people don't realize that there are other vendors out there.
>
> Try smarthome.com.  Hell, try Radio Shack, they sell X10 stuff too.
> Although then you're signed up for postal spam, which isn't much better.

the postal spam with radio shack went out years ago. they still ask for it
but much in the manner of a beggar looking for change--a raised eyebrow is
enough to put them off that pursuit. on top of that, it was the first place
that i ever saw any home-automation equipment well over ten years ago. the
problem with radio shack as a resource is that their habits and wares are
geared to appease the lowest common denominator, so they end up tied at some
vital business organ to mushysoft.

ben