Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Ivo Wever wrote:

> If the other dists are so terrible that they can't even support the internet
> connection of a small group of people for three hours a day, then why is
> anyone using them and using them in a commercial environment at that?

Fwiw, as well as a Debian developer, I am a RHCE, and I really lie
Mandrae.  I even still hae slackware running under vmware.  As far as I'm
concerned a win for one of the other distributins is not a loss for
Debian.  It's all Linux so it's all good.  I believe the main reason is
marketing.  It's getting ridiculously easy to find a Linux distribution.
Last weekend I was going shopping and there in my lcal supermarkets
two-shelf computer section with the "1001 crappy windows shareware
programs" CDs and the latest shoot-e-ups was a Redhat 7.2 box.  In a
supermarket!  As some whose first introduction to Linux many moons ago was
downloading 40 floppies worth of slackware this just knocked me out.

Debian can never compete with this but that's alright.  Let the newbies
get their feet wet and we will be their second Linux distro.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>