Re: [mostly-OT] apt-get on RH, is it worth anything? (was Re: Debian: abandon ship?)

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:55:31 -0500
"Glen Lee Edwards" <glen@fcwm.org> wrote:

> > Is apt-get on RH 7.3 actually usable?
>
> Red Hat isn't likely to seriously support apt-get.  They're pushing
> up2date, which updates your computer for you.  It's free for the first
> computer you sign up for, but there's a fee for additional computers.

One reason I left Red Hat for Debian.

> I tried up2date on one server.  It never worked.  It sometimes
> downloaded the files I needed to update, sometimes died during the
> download, kicking out an error message.  Rarely were any of the new
> packages installed.  The install process usually died due to dependency
> problems.

Yet another reason.

> Based on my experience with Red Hat's automated update process, I would
> never trust it on a production server.

You've very adequately summed up the key reasons for my replacing all my
Red Hat installations (both personal and professional) with Debian.

--
Jamin W. Collins