Re: [mostly-OT] apt-get on RH, is it worth anything? (was Re: Debian: abandon ship?)

On Thu 06 Jun 02 15:45, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:48:15PM -0600, user list wrote:
> [snip]
>
> | The reasons I like [debian] are:
> | 1. apt-get
>
> [snip]
>
> | I'll note in passing that the first reason has lost some edge now
> | that RH 7.3 comes with apt-get and that there are ports to older RH
> | releases.
>
> [snip]
>

> Is apt-get on RH 7.3 actually usable?

Red Hat isn't likely to seriously support apt-get.  They're pushing
up2date, which updates your computer for you.  It's free for the first
computer you sign up for, but there's a fee for additional computers.

I tried up2date on one server.  It never worked.  It sometimes
downloaded the files I needed to update, sometimes died during the
download, kicking out an error message.  Rarely were any of the new
packages installed.  The install process usually died due to dependency
problems.

Based on my experience with Red Hat's automated update process, I would
never trust it on a production server.

Glen