Re: Global variables

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:38:10 +0200 Nicos Gollan <gtdev@spearhead.de>
wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 June 2002 02:11, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 00:09:42 -0500 dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
> > > Yes -- the problem is the user's .profile doesn't source the
> > > system one.  It isn't automagically sourced.
> >
> > It should be. From the bash man page:
> >
> >     When  bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as
> >     a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it  first
> >     reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
> >     that file exists.
>
> OK, I don't know if this was already said, but I have to include
>
> if [ -f /etc/profile ]; then
>   . /etc/profile
> fi

Are you sure you need that? Are you using bash?

I have a call to /usr/games/fortune in my /etc/profile.

I don't have a ~/.profile. I've just checked, and my ~/bash_profile
sources ~/bashrc, which sources /etc/bash.bashrc, which sources
/etc/bash_completion. So no reference to /etc/profile.

Still, I always get a fortune quote when I log in.

So, unless I'm missing something not very obvious, the bash man page
seems to be correct.

Cheers,

--
Carlos Sousa