Re: Debian: abandon ship?

If the people in effective control of Debian's
direction no longer have this ability, then
perhaps Debian is no longer useful to most
of us.

Debian is no longer useful to us when they no longer put out a product that we can use. That is hardly the case.

To save the Debian Attack Team the effort
of a search, I'll admit immediately that
(like most Debian users) I've contributed
nothing to Debian except good intentions
and trivial amounts of money. Debian does
not need me. And I need a stable release
with the 2.4 kernel.

Nick Jacobs

Nick, the 2.4 kernel is available for you to apt-get upgrade any time you wish. Or you can do like I did - build it yourself to the specifications of your box. If you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, I suggest you try it. I've been there. I would much rather go with a group of developers who err on the cautious side than those who err on the reckless side. Debian provides a setup you can rely on. They don't need to change their philosophy. I personally prefer the 2.4 kernel with the ext3 file system. Even the kernel developers admit that this is in the experimental stage. So far it's working great for me. But to expect the Debian developers to put it in Woody and publicly state that it is reliable and secure is a real stretch.

I would rather go with developers who are cautious in their approach but give me the option of taking chances as I think I can safely do so, than to go with developers who put out new and poorly tested software, essentially require that I test it for them on production servers.

Glen