Re: Question with $? in bash, with chains of commands

%% Mike Dresser <mdresser_l@windsormachine.com> writes:

  md> Here's a code fragment i'm trying to work on in bash

  md> The problem is, $? reports the result of the last command, which
  md> is gzip, which will ALWAYS report 0(well, unless the hd is full or
  md> the moon is full),

Yes.  The definition of $? in the Bourne shell, since forever, is that
it is the exit code of the last program invoked in a pipeline.

  md> Anyone have any ideas?

See the PIPESTATUS variable in the bash man page.

Note that this is not a standard thing, so if you use it your script
may not be portable to other Bourne-like shells.