Re: Desktop suitability (was Re: this post is not off-topic)

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 04:39:06PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> Your audience is not me.  For *me*, potato is too old for desktop use.
> Your audience isn't a computer geek like me (who is also a developer)

Thanks for the reply!  You've got some great reasons for wanting something
newer than potato.  However, and I should have been clearer about this
earlier, the norm is that discussions of whether or not "foo is ready
for the desktop" are specifically referring to the corporate (non-geek,
non-developer) desktop.  My experience is that not only potato but even
Red Hat 4.2 works great in that setting.

I'm not really concerned with how much geeks and developers like potato
for the simple reason that they (we) are capable of dealing with the
uncertainties of woody/sid and might even be willing to do the occasional
`./configure ; make ; make install` to get things that our distro(s)
of choice don't include.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss