Re: Debian: abandon ship?

>>"Alan" == Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

 Alan> Maybe the developers should amend the Social Contract to make this
 Alan> more explicit?  At least in the vote, it would become clear to what
 Alan> degree that statement is true or untrue.

	Ah, yes, the social contract argument. I said jump, so hop
 around, since your social contract says you shall.  This is aking to
 arguments like: My taxes pay for the gummint. So the gummint works
 for me. You work for the gummint, so you work for me. So I order you,
 mr police man, not to write that ticket for speeding. Doesn't quite
 work that way, does it now?

	What works collectively, in the abstract, does not work in the
 specific; and unlike an elected governement, in Debian people who are
 not part of the project really have no franchise. Even Debian
 leadership cannot tell a developer what to work on -- and that has
 ever been the case.

	There is no way one can satisfy all the people all the
 time. There is no way one may cater to every voluble set of people --
 indeed, if we did this mindlessly, this would be used by ill wishers
 to damage Debian, and thus reduce the benefit we offer everyone else
 -- all the _other_ users.

	Guess what. The social contract is not meant to be applied
 mindlessly. A modicum of common sense is meant to be applied (if you
 think I would rescue a user from a burning building in preference to
 my wife, because of the social contract, you are out of your
 mind). This is a thinking (hu)mans contract.

	I do not speak for all developers - indeed, I speak for no one
 but myself. I have a feeling though, that my viewpoint is shared by
 quite a few of my fellow developers. Who am I doing this for? for
 myself, of course, (and no, this is not flame bait). I want a stable
 linux box for myself. However, I can not do it alone, so i seek a
 bunch of collaborators (note: i did not say developers here) to
 cooperatively develop this stable OS - and some on=f these
 collaborators are people who help find bugs, tell me when my man page
 is hard to understand, suggest alternative wording, etc -not users
 and vendors, but fellow community members who are helping make this a
 better box for all of us to use (and thus I get my nice Linux box)

	The primary target for me is still me, and my collaborators,
 but outside this free software community does user satisfaction
 affect me? not the least whit. This is a collaboration, not the
 developers giving and the users taking.

	My interpretation of the social contract is that the people
 who are collaboratively helping to improve the software are the
 constituency we must cater to.

	All if Debian is done just because we wanna. And, once we are
 doing this, we do put concern for the users as an goal (an abstract
 user, instead of any individual or group). We do not say that we
 shall favour any group of users because of their number; and we
 prefer doing what we think is right, for us, and the users, despite
 popularity contests and opinion polls. We strongly believe, at this
 point, that releasing woody is a disservice to the users.

	Popularity does not figure in this. And if it is a matter of
 selecting between two sets of users, the discretion lies with those
 doing the work. People who work on porting are doing so of their own
 free will, People who do chose to work so can't be reassigned merely
 for the benefit of users on an architecture that maintainer does not
 want to work on.

	manoj
--
 Q: What does a WASP Mom make for dinner? A: A crisp salad, a hearty
 soup, a lovely entree, followed by a delicious dessert.