From: curtis [mailto:curtis@npc-usa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 12:18 PM
To: Debian List
Subject: Mgetty - Dial-in Server ---- HELP

Debian 3.0
Kernel 2.4.18
mgetty 1.1.27-4.1

Trying to set up a dial-in server.  I made the following changes:

Modem is installed on /dev/ttyS0

/etc/initab
   S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS0 -D /dev/ttyS0

/etc/ppp/options.server
   auth -chap +pap
   modem
   crtscts
   login
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   proxyarp
   lock
   -detach
   ms-dns xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    * * "" *

/etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
   10.0.0.10:10.0.0.16
   (Server IP Address:Port IP Address)

/etc/mgetty/login.config
   /AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.server

Regardless, no user on the server can connect. I have discovered that it never gets to the point of authorization. Could the problem have to do with permissions to the port? Mgetty can't assign it an IP due to permissions?

Thanks