Re: Disabling inetd altogether?

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 10:25:28PM +0200, Stefan Bellon wrote:

> I'm well aware that I can disable
> every service in the /etc/inetd.conf file, but why have it running
> then?

No reason at all. :)

> Is there any recommendation of how to turn inetd off? Or should I
> use update-rc.d and remove the symlinks to /etc/init.d/inetd? Is there
> no neater way?

I don't know how much neater you want it to be; in the SysV init
structure, we enable services by giving them "S" symlinks in the
appropriate runlevel directories (/etc/rc2.d for example) and disable
them with "K" symlinks; I assume this is what update-rc.d does, but I
just manage that stuff by hand myself.

At any rate, yes, that's how it's done: inetd is started from an init
script in /etc/init.d, linked into /etc/rc#.d where # is your default
runlevel (2 on most of my machines).  If you don't want it to start, get
rid of that symlink, however you choose to do it.  To be neat, replace
it with a K symlink instead.

A trick I like to do is to replace S##foo with s##foo for future
reference.  init will ignore symlinks that start with a lowercase s, but
if you ever want to bring back the service you'll have a record of where
in the sequence it used to start.

HTH,
-mrj
--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #
      Reader!  Think not that