Re: Debian: abandon ship? Not me!

Hi Stephen!

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002, Stephen Ryan wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 13:32, John Schmidt wrote:
>
> > I certainly appreciate the multiple architecture support of Debian.  I
> > have it installed on a powerpc, m68k, and x86 box.  I initially
> > installed it on my m68k box, since Debian was the only distribution
> > that supported it.  I made the switch to my other boxes because I liked
> > the consistency of one distribution and hated the dependency mess of
> > rpm.  I have advocated Debian to others in my work place and will
> > continue to do so.

[snip]

> Debian is hard to install, and I don't care - I install one time per
> machine.  Debian is easy to upgrade, and I like it - I upgrade and
> install new software on some machine or other every week.
>
> The developers all get a huge Thank You! from me.

I have to add to this also :).

While I only use x86 boxes I am still very happy with the Debian
distro.  While potato is outdated I still use it on my server and
never have problems with it.  I am content to wait for woody to become
stable to upgrade the server.  It does everything that I need and if
it don't I will usually install newer packages from source.  I'm a
firm believer in "If you don't NEED to upgrade, don't".

On my workstations I run woody/unstable and rarely have problems with it.
Again, I install from source or make my own deb if I need newer
versions of software.

I made the switch to Debian about a year ago from SuSE and before that
RedHat.  Those distros have rapid releases but I don't think it's
worth it for all the problems that arise with them.  I've had much
fewer problems with Debian.

Personally I wouldn't change anything about this distro.  And I want
to thank the developers also.  Someday I want to become one but I'm
still learning.

Keep up the good work.  I'd much rather wait than be face with the
hell I had with other distro's.

--
B. L. Jilek <bljilek@crowbyte.net>
PGP keys on my website --> http://crowbyte.dnsalias.com/~tcrow