Re: in case you missed this from ponik

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 12:13:37PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
| On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:51:33 -0500
| "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
|
| > Actually, it's really easy to blackhole their messages on your end.
| > From your POV it's basically the same thing (apart from bandwidth
| > usage).
|
| Yes, blackholing the messages is easy.  As for bandwidth being the only
| difference, not quite.  The messages still make it to the archives (thus
| flooding them).  The increased message traffic to the list can bog the
| list server resulting in increasing delivery delays.

Err, yeah, of course.  I mostly just view the list with mutt so I tend
to not notice some of that (though serious delays (ie 1+hours) are
rather noticeable).

| As with any problem the closer to the source you can deal with the
| problem the better.

Very true.  OTOH some of use don't have any control near the source
and thus must resort to band-aids at the end.  It is easy to blackhole
those messages, though it's not the Right solution.

-D

--

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but he who hates correction is stupid.