Re: in case you missed this from ponik

> > To me, the best solution to this would be to customize the tagline on
> > each outgoing message, so that it would read something like "you are
> > subscribed as wankstain@luser.org, to remove send a message _from that
> > address_ to xxx@example.com with the magic word."  That way, the
> > clueless would have a fighting chance at getting off the list.
> > If they are still incapable, perhaps they will include the tagline in their
> > quoted reply so that others can take the appropriate action.

Agreed. Absolutely a good thing! Wishlist bug against lists.debian.org?

> > I don't know how hard or easy this would be to implement, but it sounds
> > nontrivial.  I suppose there are some privacy / archival issues, such as
> > the desire to scrub mailing list archives of email addresses to foil
> > spambots.

But since the e-mail would be set to a different string for every copy
that is sent, it would make more sense if the software sent it to the archives
before inserting an address.

> But that information is available within the list emails, albeit hidden
> away in the "full" headers.   Maybe better education on how to find and
> examine email headers in these sort of situations is in order.

I woulg agree, except that I don't believe we can educate all users that
get mails forwarded to them this way. They may not even know what "mail
headers" are at all.
If you refer to educating the list subscribers, then I agree.

But yet -- if we blcok the guy from posting tho the list wen he start
abusing, that at least helps keping the list peaceful (and saves
bandwidth). In the meantime, the listmaster (or some volunteer) can help
the person with the mail headers and finally unsubscribe him/her.

> In any case, idiots who auto-reply to every list mail they receive until
> they get their way are not easily defeated by any technological solution.

He he... Indeed!

J.