Re: Debian: abandon ship?

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 12:49:54PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Oleg" == Oleg  <oleg@tw304h3.cpmc.columbia.edu> writes:
>  Oleg> How does FreeBSD manage to stay reasonably secure and stable,
>  Oleg> yet modern (compared to Potato)?
>
> 	Perhaps number of packages has something to do with this? How
>  does testing compare to freebsd in terms of security and stability?
>  (I do not use freebsd, so I honestly do not know).

Similar order of magnitude in terms of number of packages, if you count
the FreeBSD ports system. However, I don't think FreeBSD take their
ports into account when it comes to making releases in quite the same
way we take optional and extra packages into account.

FreeBSD certainly has a very good reputation in terms of security and
stability; I'd ask the FreeBSD committer sitting behind me, but he'd
probably be biased. :-)