Re: Setting system time on startup

On 2002.06.05 13:00 Gary Hennigan wrote:
"Ian D. Stewart" <idstewart@compuvative.com> writes:
> Right now, when booting my linux box, the system clock is off by
four
> hours (I'm guessing it is set to GMT).  I can reset the clock using
> date, but this is starting to get a bit tedious.  Is there a way to
> automate this process and/or convince Linux to set the system clock
> local time?

You can change that by setting UTC=<yes|no> in /etc/default/rcS. This
setting should be "yes" if your HW clock is set to UTC (aka GMT) or
"no" if your HW clock is set to local time.

So first check to see what your HW clock is set to by using the
command "hwclock --show". You can then use hwclock to either set your
system time from your HW clock, or vice versa. This is done
automatically at boot by the hwclock* scripts in /etc/init.d

The main thing is setting UTC to the appropriate "yes" or "no" in
/etc/default/rcS, assuming, of course, that the problem is the fact
that your HW clock setting doesn't match the UTC setting.

Thanx Gary. That did the trick! Apparently my hardware clock is reporting local time, not GMT. I edited /etc/default/rcS to set UTC=no and manually reset the system clock via 'hwclock --hctosys --localtime'

Thanx also to everyone else who responded, and for the general education re: hwclock. Learn something new every day... ;)

Ian