Re: this post is not off-topic

Colin Watson wrote:
On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 01:43:46PM +0200, Ivo Wever wrote:
> On a related matter: if a number of developers were at odds with part
> of the current policy, how would they be able to try and change the
> policy regarding that issue (supposing that if the majority of
> developers, including those with expertise regarding the subject
> concur, something would be changed)?

Technical policy has a well-defined and fairly simple amendment process.
I suspect you're talking about more general topics, though; in that
case, there is a rarely-used General Resolution procedure by which the
mass of developers can vote their minds.

By and large, of course, the people who do the work get to make the
decisions; GRs are a rather nuclear option compared to jumping in and
helping.
Sometimes all people want is to know the nuclear option exists, understand
its functioning and its consequences. When they realise that, they also
realise that their ideas are discarded because of _arguments_, not because
of the impossibility of getting an idea through.

Perhaps some people haven't read http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution
(as I can't believe I overlooked it until now)

sincerely

Ivo Wever
I.J.W.Wever@student.tnw.tudelft.nl