Re: Strange case of disappearing hard disk

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 04:50 pm, csj wrote:
[snip]

> This makes sense. I have to check this one out. I have an AMI bios. The
> boot up is quite fast, even with the power-on tests enabled, taking by
> my unscientific estimates less than ten seconds. The RAM is tested in
> only one pass.
>
> In the meantime I had disconnected the second (originally hdb) drive,
> and I managed several reboots without hda going AWOL. So the problem
> seems to be that the system can't handle two ide hard disks reliably.
> Ever heard of that one? thnx

check alice m. pinard's thread on a similar issue with a 60gig maxtor on an
ide adapter, due to bios defincies in the motherboard. you might want to ask
others using the same drive to share dmesg output. in her case, the dmesg
info on the maxtor hd was showing it as pio rather than dma. allegedly, there
are also kernel patches to enable udma.

i can't remember where i came across the info on udma compatibility, but the
gist of it was that all hd devices on a system, regardless of channel
separation, have to be udma compatible. maybe it's a kernel bug. dunno. you
might want to google for that.

ben