Strange case of disappearing hard disk

I have a computer with a motherboard with a SiS 735 chipset. It has two
hard disks on the primary ide channel, a 20GB FUJITSU MPF3204AT (hda,
master, UDMA 66) and a 60GB  MAXTOR 4K060H3 (UDMA 100). Grub is
installed on both disks, but I set the computer to boot from hda.

The strange thing is that sometimes when I reboot, the Fujitsu drive
appears to disappear. The drive is identified by the bios. But on
boot-up a message appears that the drive's boot record could not be
found, and indeed I can't boot from the drive. I have to power down
completely before I can boot again into that drive (I can boot from the
CDROM drives and hdb)

Does anybody have any idea what's going wrong?

TIA