Re: Strange case of disappearing hard disk

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:32:52 -0500
"Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 03:46:31 +0800
> "csj" <csj@mindgate.net> wrote:
>
> > The strange thing is that sometimes when I reboot, the Fujitsu drive
> > appears to disappear. The drive is identified by the bios. But on
> > boot-up a message appears that the drive's boot record could not be
> > found, and indeed I can't boot from the drive. I have to power down
> > completely before I can boot again into that drive (I can boot from the
> > CDROM drives and hdb)
>
> Sounds like slow drive spin up.  The systems ready to go before the drive
> is.  Perhaps you should check to see if there's an option to slow your
> boot process slightly.  Perhaps a BIOS option?

This makes sense. I have to check this one out. I have an AMI bios. The
boot up is quite fast, even with the power-on tests enabled, taking by
my unscientific estimates less than ten seconds. The RAM is tested in
only one pass.

In the meantime I had disconnected the second (originally hdb) drive,
and I managed several reboots without hda going AWOL. So the problem
seems to be that the system can't handle two ide hard disks reliably.
Ever heard of that one? thnx