Re: Strange case of disappearing hard disk

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:00:18 -0700
ben <benfoley@rcn.com> wrote:

>  On Tuesday 04 June 2002 12:46 pm, csj wrote:
>  > I have a computer with a motherboard with a SiS 735 chipset. It has two
>  > hard disks on the primary ide channel, a 20GB FUJITSU MPF3204AT (hda,
>  > master, UDMA 66) and a 60GB  MAXTOR 4K060H3 (UDMA 100). Grub is
>  > installed on both disks, but I set the computer to boot from hda.
>  >
>  > The strange thing is that sometimes when I reboot, the Fujitsu drive
>  > appears to disappear. The drive is identified by the bios. But on
>  > boot-up a message appears that the drive's boot record could not be
>  > found, and indeed I can't boot from the drive. I have to power down
>  > completely before I can boot again into that drive (I can boot from the
>  > CDROM drives and hdb)
>  >
>  > Does anybody have any idea what's going wrong?

>  older kernels don't have udma support. what kernel version are you using?
>
>  i've also read a rumor somewhere that all hd devices in a system have to be
>  udma compatible, as in all or nothing, and that older model cd-r's can be
>  problematic. again, it's a rumor, but maybe it gives you something to work
>  with.

Fairly modern: 2.4.18. What do you mean by UDMA compatible? Do you mean
that they both should be UDMA (which they are) or that they should be
both UDMA of the same feather (which they aren't, UDMA 66 / 100)?

Again, my CD writer is fairly modern (it's a 16x10x40x drive). And it's
in the second channel? Any other ideas? Thx.