Re: in case you missed this from ponik

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 04:15:27PM -0700, ben wrote:
> allegedly the last email from ponik the slovakian bofh
> It is my last mail for you.
>
> Thank everybody for help.
> (Problem was with forwarding every mails from debian-user@lists.debian.org to
> my mail with anonymous man or woman through mail ponik@toughguy.net. I don't
> know, who it is.)
>
> One more, excuse me for troubles.
>
> Lot of luck.
>
> Good bye.
>
>                  pono
>
> while his response to the situation was obviously ridiculous, if this
> statement above is true, it seems that there's some kinda bug in the list
> management. something similar happened in debian-kde just recently. in the
> interest of preventing anymore of the same in the future, anybody want to
> offer conjecture on how this could happen?

Technically speaking, someone could subscribe to debian-user as
ponik@toughguy.net, THEN activate forwarding from ponik@toughguy.net to
the real address.  Most email services don't confirm that a person
owns the address that they're forwarding to (although some now do).  As
to why someone would do it .. I dunno, grudge, sick practical joke,
whatever...

- Chris