Re: OT: UML (Re: UML Modeling w/o Rational Rose)

On 2002-06-03 14:22 +0000, Oleg <oleg@tw304h3.cpmc.columbia.edu> wrote:
> On Monday 03 June 2002 02:01 pm, Tommi Komulainen wrote:
>
> > On the topic of free UML modeling software, I've tried ArgoUML and
> > Poseidon, but unfortunately they aren't quite comparable to Rose.  Are
> > there some other UML tools I've missed?  (No, dia or kuml don't count.)
>
> What do you get from UML, that you don't get from class definitions (in
> header files) ?

Visual representation of the classes on suitable abstraction level.
Kind of hard to get the big picture in one glimpse from several header
files scattered around, don't you thinkg?  From a simple UML diagram you
can get that (almost) instantly.

And that's just the class diagram part of UML.  There's much more than
just class diagrams in UML.  Class diagrams help to understand how
classes relate to each other (kind of, who does what) and that's
propably the most used part of UML.

Then there's sequence diagrams, showing how classes interact with each
other (who talks to whom.)  I'd argue that's at least as useful as class
diagrams.  Depends on the case, of course.

The bottom line is, though, that UML is just notation.  It is meant to
help communicate how the software works (well, should work) in unified
way.  If you both know UML, you don't need to spend time defining terms
the other might very easily misinterpret otherwise.

Even though you don't need to explain how the stuff works to anyone
else, I've found that it's much easier to go down into the details after
you've figured out the big pieces first.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6