Re: List as a newsgroup

In article <[🔎] 20020603153805.GB22499@arborlon.riva.ucam.org>,
Colin Watson  <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 11:30:15AM +0100, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
>> I've just discovered I can get this list as a newsgroup. I tried this
>> about a year ago when I first started using Debian, but it didn't
>> work, so since then I've been getting it as a mailing list.
>>
>> Has it always been like this, or is this a recent thing.
>
>It's been around for a few years, although it's never been by any means
>guaranteed to be picked up by all ISPs.

Besides, it doesn't work. Like many mailinglists gatewayed
to newsgroups, there's more than one guy doing it. But in
different hierarchies. So if you happen to get both of them
(say muc.lists.debian.user and linux.debian.user) you'll see
half of the articles in one group and half of them in the
other, because of the way Usenet news works with unique
message-ids.

>Note that posting to the newsgroup won't reflect your articles back to
>the mailing list, until something has changed recently.

.. and there's that, yes.

Some ISPs do the gatewaying locally, taking care of the message-id
problem and making sure you can post back to the list too -
not many, and most get it wrong, but they do exist.

Cistron for example does it `right' ;)

Mike.