Re: home network with mac

Success!
I finally got ftp to work between Debian and the mac-osx.  The problem
was that the ip address I assigned the mac wasn't the same block.
Thanks for all the advice. (and I sure feel stupid)

But I was still puzzled as to why netatalk wouldn't work; I couldn't
mount at all.  So I plugged in an older mac not running system osx, and
it worked fine.  So it looks like the problem is between osx and
netatalk.  But fortunately for me, ftp will do all that I need to do.
My kids and I don't transfer files all that often, and ftp will work
just fine.

Thanks again to everybody,

Ric