Re: How to install DHCP

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 05:53:25PM +0200, Paul Huygen wrote:
> I am a bit reluctant to ask this seemingly simple question, but I
> could not find the answer in the docs:
>
> I have a computer that was connected to the Internet over ethernet with
> a fixed IP address. Recently the network manager requested to change
> to DHCP, and I cannot find out how I have to do that. So, can anybody
> help me to tell me how to do that?

/etc/network/interfaces makes it pretty easy. With dhcp-client
installed, make sure that /etc/network/interfaces contains the following
two lines:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

'ifup eth0' and 'ifdown eth0' will then bring the interface up and down
respectively, and the interface will be brought up at boot-time.

Cheers,