different types of mp3?

I have dl'd some files that have an .mp3 extension. When I run the
'file' command the result is:

MPEG 1.0 layer 3 audio stream data, 128 kBit/s, 44.1 kHz, mono
MPEG 1.0 layer 3 audio stream data, 128 kBit/s, 44.1 kHz, jstereo

None of my mp3 players will play these files. I've tried mp3blaser,
freeamp, and xmms. They don't complain, they just hang and I have to
use the 'kill' command to get rid of them.

However, realplayer *does* work.

Could someone please explain what is going on?

--
"It will be of little avail to the people that laws are made by men of
their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be