Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 17:21:37 +0200
From: Olivier Crouzet <olivier.crouzet@free.fr>
To: debian-laptop <debian-laptop@lists.debian.org>
Subject: insmod lt_serial, lt_modem on Acer Extensa 501 Dx

Hi,

I am trying to get my lt winmodem work under linux. I have compiled my own
kernel and made the corresponding kernel-headers package using make-kpkg.
Everything works fine since I have installed this new kernel but I
encounter problems with the insertion of the lt_serial module (which has
to be inserted before the lt_modem one).

I have configured isapnp.conf according to both pnpdump output and MS
Windows information (IRQ = 3 base IO = 0x02e8 and 0x0100) and the sound
card works well following a similar procedure.

Here is en extract of my isapnp.conf file.

(IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x02e8) (CHECK))
(INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +E)))
(IO 1 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x0100) (CHECK))

I have compiled the Lucent winmodem drivers from source with the
build_module (and then build_deb) script provided. I have tried versions
8.22a3 and 6.00c2 respectively.

I have left 8.22a3 because when I try to compile it, I am told that my
headers are not matched with my running kernel (thought I know it is false
because I did them (the kernel image and the headers) myself with
make-kpkg).

So let's go for 6.00c2. Everything goes fine at compile time with both
build_module and build_deb. I install the package with dpkg and there is
no problem at install time (it creates links from /dev/modem to
/dev/ttyLT0 and set group to dialout).

Then, if I try to do an insmod as root :

# insmod lt_serial

Using /lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o
/lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol
SetLtModemInterface
/lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o: unresolved symbol
GetLtModemInterface
/lib/modules/2.2.20/misc/lt_serial.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
      and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
      assistance, only they can help you.

This is the same type of message I am faced with at compile time when I
try to build the 8.22 series. However, still with 6.00, insmod lt_modem
loads the module correctly. But I am probably faced with an issue when I
want to use it !

Does anyone here know what these unresolved symbol messages are all about
?
There are IRQ and IO options for lt_modem but not for lt_serial according
to the documentation. What may I do ?

Thanks so much for your help.
Olivier.

--