Re: simple traffic monitor/firewalls

on Wed, May 29, 2002, Arthur Dent (arthur_dent5@hotmail.com) wrote:

> Under windows I had a little network picture which would show up in my
> system tray on the taskbar whenever I was on the internet. It showed 2
> computers linked and whenever there was traffic either to of from my
> pc the small monitor screen icons would turn blue, indicating
> activity.  Now I have no firewall under linux I would like to have
> some way of at least monitoring traffic throughput as I surf the net.
> Does anyone know if there is any small utility that can do this under
> woody.

WindowMaker:  wmppp, wmifs, wninet.  Google "doc apps warehouse" for
many more.

> Also can anyone advise me of a good book on installing debian woody
> and getting it set up as secure as possible for a beginner.

The Debian Installation Guide at the Debian website:
http://www.debian.org/

> I dont care if at first I understand nothing of what is being said as
> long as I knew that I had my setup secured well BEFORE i begin
> trawling the net trying to find info. Because I am so new I find all
> the terminology daunting. I have downloaded several books from the
> debian site and printed them off and have brought a couple of huge
> volumes on linux. But for the moment I dont want to know every single
> console command, all I wish to get is a good general text on linux.

> i.e. Where are the alarmd logs kept? I've searched but cant find them.

Not sure about alarmd (I don't use KDE), but in general, the first place
to look for logs is /var/log.

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/linux-books.html

> Under Win2K I know where to look for log info etc and
> if I dont I know where to find out what I need to be looking for...as
> long as Bill wants me to know...  Does linux have like index.dat
> files??

/etc

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/