Re: DHCP & reverse DNS in Linksys LAN environment

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 11:12:59 -0500
"Judith Elaine Bush" <debian@grey-cat.com> wrote:

> We have a home LAN behind a Linksys DSL router (model BEFSER41).
(snip)
> The Debian box can ping a laptop on the LAN successfully (by IP
> address); it cannot ping the outside world. A laptop can ping the
> Debian box successfully (by IP address), as well as anywhere else in
> the outside world .
(snip)
> I've commented out all his nameservers from
> resove.conf and confirmed I my ISP's nameserver specified.

So, you're using the Linksys DSL router to provide NAT'd access out to the
Internet, correct?  All DHCP assigned systems can ping internal and
external hosts, correct?  Sounds like the statically assigned Debian
system doesn't have a default gateway assigned.  What does "/sbin/route
-n" return on the Debian system?

--
Jamin W. Collins