Re: home network with mac

On 2002.06.02 09:50 Richard Otte wrote:
At home my kid has a Mac running osx and we'd also have a switch.
We'd
like to connect it to my Debian machine  in such a way that we could
transfer files between the machines.  We also have a postscript
printer
connected to the switch, and we both use the phone to connect to the
internet.  Can anyone tell me how to do this or point me to
instructions
on how to do this?  Thanks,

Hey Ric,

Assuming you have the two machines networked, one solution would be to run a FTP server on the Linux box. Then the Mac could connect using its FTP client. If Mac OSX supports TCP/IP based printing, you could use a similiar setup for the printer.

For information on sharing a single internet connection, take a look at the IP-Masquerade HOWTO[1].

HTH,
Ian

1. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html