Re: Debian take on UnitedLinux?

On Saturday 01 June 2002 12:24 am, Shawn Dunn wrote:
> On Fri, 31 May 2002 23:56:43 -0700
>
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > > definitely cute; married to the bass player, in fact. they used to be
> > > our personal house band in sf, before they all, almost as one, realized
> > > they'd had it with high rent and dotcom okies.
> >
> > Them and everyone else it seems.  I gotta wonder if anybody from
> > California ever stopped to think that they're turning Oregon into what
> > they moved away from...
>
> Try out Montana sometime, grew up there, and the Californians and
> Easterners are doing their damnedest to remake in the image of the places
> they left, and have been for round 20 years or so..........

yeah, but let's not forget that the world is comprised of individuals
possessed of freewill. just because one californian pisses on your rug
doesn't mean all californians will do the same. before i came to live here,
sixteen years ago, you were all just americans to me. it wasn't long before i
realized that the america that's marketed where i grew up didn't do any
justice to the americans i've met since being here. when balloo mentioned, in
another post, that he preferred the overcast days, free of glare and heat, i
knew, and know, exactly what he means, yet i am no oregonian, much less a
californian. i think that, in a previous post, where i used the phrase
'dotcom okies,' i should have said dotcom migrants. perhaps i encouraged
interstate antipathy by that error. the point is that if i have a grievance
with anybody, it has to do with their behavior as an individual, regardless
of any collective association to which even they might willingly adhere.

ben