Re: question

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 05:16:54PM -0700, Ari Kay wrote:
> I downloaded xmakemol and it has the form *.deb.  I would like to know how
> to run the file.  I am currently working with Red Hat 7.2.

.deb files are Debian packages.  These are equivalent to RedHat's RPM
system.  You've got a few options now (in order of difficulty):
1. Go get the RPM of this program.  If RedHat doesn't package it, go
   have a look at xmakemols main web site.  No idea where it is.
2. Go get the source for xmakemol and build it yourself.  The source
   will be available from the aforementioned xmakemol site, or you can
   get it from (IIRC) the pool/main/x/xmakemol/ directory on your local
   Debian mirror.  You'll probably find rather detailed installation
   instructions in the INSTALL file inside the source tarball.
3. Use a program called 'alien' to convert the .deb file to an RPM.  You
   can get it from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/noarch/.  You'll
   also need to get a package called alien-extra to enable you to work
   with it on RedHat.  It's available from
   ftp://ykbsb2.yk.psu.edu/pub/alien/alien-extra.rpm.
4. Install Debian on your machine, rather than RedHat.  You can then
   install the package with dpkg -i <packagefile>

-rob