Re: Remote admin of intermittently-connected machine?

We had a headless server on the other side of the world that connected
intermittently with a dynamic IP over a 28.8 dialup line.  It would
email me its IP address when it connected; at that point I had five
minutes to ssh into that IP address and stop it from disconnecting,
and do whatever admin work was needed.

The drawbacks to this method in your case are (a) you can only do
administration when you're logged in when they connect, and (b) your
friends may not enjoy having you know every time they connect to the
net.

The advantage is that it allows for interactive administration, it's
foolproofedly simple to set up, and your friends don't have to do
anything themselves.

--Pete