Re: Remote admin of intermittently-connected machine?

* Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) [020529 20:10]:
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 06:38:22PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > Why not just get your friend to execute the script/attachment
> > that you email to him?  That's the most secure method.
>
> Problem with that is it introduces  one more point of PEBKAC error,
> which often isn't easy to detect.  And you aren't gauranteed to get the
> output back.

You could wrap the script you give him in ( ) | mail me@myhost. Better
yet, tell him "Do this:

$ script
$ the_script_i_emailed_you.sh
$ exit
$ mutt -a typescript -s "script output" me@myhost

"

That should help you detect those PEBKAC errors as well, since you'll be
able to see if he did something wrong. (Especially useful if you
the script needs to do something interactively, which is a case that an
automated email-receiving script muncher wouldn't be able to do.)

Of course, if the scripts are something regular, like that apt-get
download-only we saw earlier, just put that in cron.daily and let
anacron do it.

good times,
Vineet
--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml