Re: Making /home not accessible by outsiders

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 05:38:29AM -0400, ThanhVu Nguyen wrote:
| Hello during the installation I choose yes when the installer ask if I
| want to make user directory accessible by other users (that was the
| default).  Now I changed my mind, because even /root is readable by
| others ...
|
| is there a way to reverse what I have chosen ?  reconfigure something ?

dpkg-reconfigure adduser

Note that this only affects new accounts created by adduser.

| Or may be a chmod command that would do the trick ?

To fix existing home directories, if they are all in /home/,

    chmod o-r /home/*

Note that you want the directories *executable* so that apache (for
example) can "cd" to ~/public_html/ for serving user's pages.

-D

--

Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,
and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.