Re: Making /home not accessible by outsiders

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 05:38:29AM -0400, ThanhVu Nguyen wrote:
> Hello during the installation I choose yes when the installer ask if I
> want to make user directory accessible by other users (that was the
> default).  Now I changed my mind, because even /root is readable by
> others ...
>
> is there a way to reverse what I have chosen ?  reconfigure something ?
> Or may be a chmod command that would do the trick ?

'chmod 0751 /home/foo' etc. will change the permission on a home
directory to be what it would have been if you'd taken the other choice.
You can 'dpkg-reconfigure adduser' to change the permissions that will
be applied to new home directories, but that doesn't do anything to
existing ones.