Re: two ethernet cards

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:40:46AM -0400, Jason Healy wrote:

Minor (or not-so-minor) correction :

| The short version is this: the kernel will not use two NICs if they
| are on the same physical network (or if the kernel *thinks* they're on
| the same physical network).

True.

| Basically, if eth0 has to be 192.168.1.*, then the other card can
| *not* start with the same three octets.

This is true only if you follow the old style of "class" based
numbering.  (it assumes, based on the address starting with 192, that
the networks are "Class C", aka /24)  If you use a different prefix
length other than 24 you can get around this numbering restriction.
This doesn't affect the need for the NICs to be on different subnets,
though, unless you look into channel bonding (but that's an advanced
topic, and I haven't even gone there).  For example, one subnet could
be 192.168.0.0/26 and the other 192.168.0.64/26.  However, I don't
recommend using any prefixes other than /8, /16, /24, and /32 if you
don't have to or else you're likely to confuse yourself at one time or
another.

HTH,
-D

--