Re: Serious "Bug" in most major Linux distros.

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Petro wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:04:17PM -0400, Rob Ransbottom wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 May 2002, Petro wrote:
> >
> > Even then I ask:  You _want_ to keep your users going when your shared
> > libs are flakey???
>
>     I don't have "users" in the normal sense. I run clusters of web and
>     database servers,

A distinction without difference here.

>                       things that are hard to keep backed up 100%.
>     I do have a few users, but they are mostly developers, and on their
>     staging and dev boxes it might be necessary at some point to get in
>     and recovery certain bits.

>     But it's not just about *me*, I can, because of the resources I have
>     available to me in a medium sized installation (currently around 100
>     servers) take a box down and replace it with another one until I
>     have time to get down the colo and do things some other way.
>
>     Not everyone has this luxury.

This is not clear to me.  I get out of this that you are scratching
at an itch which isn't yours.

> > Shared libs could implement a load_all_required_functions routine.
> > This would let a program getuid and act like it had static libs.
>
>     This sounds more complex, and unnecessary complexity is not a good
>     thing.

Actually this would simplify things -- most problems (discounting bugs)
with libs have to do with mismatching and lacking libs.  Of course
it is an evolutionary solution, that is appealing when broadly accepted.
I doubt much need is seen.

What problem are you having or foreseeing?  Don't waste time
on problems you don't have.  How can we help?

> > I just keep a rescue partition loaded with debian-base.  This
> > has lots of benefits.  And having your normal root environment is
> > nice in stressful situations.
>
>     That isn't a bad idea.

It is even better than not bad.   You may have an even smaller
rescue/boot partition that simply serves out its filesystems.

> My last cigarette was roughly 31 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes ago.

The traces of habitual patterns should vanish in a year or so.
Then it becomes easy.  Good going, and good luck going forward.

> YHBW

YHBW?

rob                     Live the dream.