Re: how to confirm mod_perl is functioning with apache? to run mason

On 2002.05.28 19:03 Petro wrote:
On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 09:17:12PM -0400, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> On 2002.05.23 20:42 justin cunningham wrote:
> >hey list, I wanted to check out mason which requires mod_perl but
it's
> >not show as a loadable module in /etc/apache/httpd.conf  I just
> >installed libapache-mod-perl but wasn't prompted to load mod_perl.c
as
> >loadable module like say, php4.  how do I confirm it is properly
> >configured?
> Hey Justin,
> I'm in pretty much the same boat (trying to test mod_perl
> installation/configuration IOT use HTML::Mason).  Have you heard
> anything back from anybody?
> I'm currently going through the mod_perl guide
> (http://perl.apache.org/guide).  Will let you know if I find
anything
> useful.

    I don't use mod_perl myself, but some observations:

    (1) In woody, libapache-mod-perl actually installs
perl_module--look
    in /usr/lib/apache/1.3/400mod_perl.info, you get:

LoadModule: perl_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_perl.so
Directives:
 PerlHandler
 PerlRequire
 PerlModule
 <Perl>
Handles:
 perl-script

Which may, or may not be the same thing as mod_perl.

Also there is a package apache-perl (also in woody) that has mod_perl
(perl_module?) statically compiled in.

I tried using apache-perl, with no luck. I also tried installing libapache-mod-perl, which seems to succeed, but fails to pull in the apache package (which GnomeAPT claims is unavailable).

I was able to get Apache and mod_perl by building from source.

BTW, the mod_perl Guide[1] includes a section[2] for testing the installation of mod_perl.

Ian

1. http://perl.apache.org/guide
2. http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html#How_can_I_tell_whether_mod_perl_