how to confirm mod_perl is functioning with apache? to run mason

hey list, I wanted to check out mason which requires mod_perl but it's
not show as a loadable module in /etc/apache/httpd.conf  I just
installed libapache-mod-perl but wasn't prompted to load mod_perl.c as a
loadable module like say, php4.  how do I confirm it is properly
configured?

Thanks, justin

here's the excerpt from masonhq.com faq

If you are planning on using HTML::Mason in a web environment with the
Apache webserver, you'll need a working copy of Apache and mod_perl
installed. Make sure that your mod_perl installation works correctly
before trying to get HTML::Mason working.