resizing root partition

Some time ago, back when I was making my first steps into linux, I
installed Debian on an old 486. After some experimenting, apt-getting and
kernel compiling my root partition ran out of space.

Using either TomsRtBt or the Debian rescue/root disk set, I found it
rather simple to move/copy partitions (including /), but now there was't
enough room to just copy / to a larger empty partition. So I cleared up
some space behind / and enlarged the partition using cfdisk.

But here comes the catch. None of the root environments I found on floppy
had resize2fs on them. This made it a little tricky to actually resize
the root filesystem. I ended up doing it this way:

boot debian rescue disk
LILO# floppy0
swap for root disk when asked
configure keyboard, then "execute a shell" (bottom of the menu)
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
# cp /mnt/sbin/resize2fs /sbin
# umount /mnt
# e2fsck -f /dev/hda1
# resize2fs /dev/hda1

Resize2fs takes 20kb, or 10kb when gzipped. Are the root disks that
'full' it wouldn't fit anymore? Or is there another reason why it is left
out? Or is there an easier way to resize a root filesystem?

Thanks ahead,

Joris