Re: simple traffic monitor/firewalls

Arthur Dent wrote:

Under windows I had a little network picture which would show up in my system tray on the taskbar whenever I was on the internet. It showed 2 computers linked and whenever there was traffic either to of from my pc the small monitor screen icons would turn blue, indicating activity. Now I have no firewall under linux I would like to have some way of at least monitoring traffic throughput as I surf the net. Does anyone know if there is any small utility that can do this under woody.

Also can anyone advise me of a good book on installing debian woody and getting it set up as secure as possible for a beginner. I dont care if at first I understand nothing of what is being said as long as I knew that I had my setup secured well BEFORE i begin trawling the net trying to find info. Because I am so new I find all the terminology daunting. I have downloaded several books from the debian site and printed them off and have brought a couple of huge volumes on linux. But for the moment I dont want to know every single console command, all I wish to get is a good general text on linux. i.e. Where are the alarmd logs kept? I've searched but cant find them. MAybe not trying hard enough but I only have so much time a day to dedicate to linux and I'd like to be able to know what should I be looking at /for and what is irrelevant at least for a while. A good beginners book? Under Win2K I know where to look for log info etc and if I dont I know where to find out what I need to be looking for...as long as Bill wants me to know...
Does linux have like index.dat files??

Any help appreciated.
Mike

HI..
Couple of the bset books I know..."Running Linux" 0'Reilly publisher and
Linux cookbook by Stutz, Linux Journal publisher...

Look at /var/log/messages for bootup messages.....

--
Regards
  Ted Wager