Re: resizing root partition

In article <[🔎] 200205291259.g4TCxUu0087882@urc1.cc.kuleuven.ac.be>,
Joris <jopa@subdimension.com> wrote:
>Some time ago, back when I was making my first steps into linux, I
>installed Debian on an old 486. After some experimenting, apt-getting and
>kernel compiling my root partition ran out of space.
>
>Using either TomsRtBt or the Debian rescue/root disk set, I found it
>rather simple to move/copy partitions (including /), but now there was't
>enough room to just copy / to a larger empty partition. So I cleared up
>some space behind / and enlarged the partition using cfdisk.
>
>But here comes the catch. None of the root environments I found on floppy
>had resize2fs on them. This made it a little tricky to actually resize
>the root filesystem. I ended up doing it this way:

I'm not sure how big your existing root file system is, but on
occasion I've abused my swap partition as file system. If you have
a big enough swap partition and enough RAM as well you can temporarily
use the swap partition as root.

Mike.
--
"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
  - R.D. Lang