Re: Help needed : kernel panic unable to mount root fs

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:19:37AM -0000, Shree  Raman wrote:
> I am experiencing a tough time as my system had a kernel panic. it
> happened while I was installing openoffice. The system hunged and
> there was no way left other than rebooting & then a kernel panic
> prompt.
>
> I had installed debian testing from floppies & i am not having a
> boot disk. I tried to use mkrboot from another system but it is

The first disk in a floppy install is a boot disk.

> also not helping. Can any one tell me how to solve this problem.
> The panic prompt tells try using init= ..... but i am unable to
> find out a soluton. the filesystem(reiserfs) as reprted is
> readonly.

At the lilo prompt, you can type in "init=/bin/sh", and it will bypass
the normal init. /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz says:

  Recent kernels also accept the options  init=<name>  and noinitrd.
  init specifies the name of the init program to execute. Therefore, if
  single mode cannot be entered because init is mis-configured, one may
  still be able to reach the shell using init=/bin/sh.

It helps when more information about the panic is posted. Usually,
before the panic, the kernel will show an error message of some form.
They can be used to determine a possible cause of the panic.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com